Listed below are the most popular services that we offer to our clients, together with a brief description. Please feel free to inquire about a service if you do not see it listed. We have developed an extensive list of contacts over the years, specializing in different areas of law, insurance, investments, taxation, etc., so we can almost certainly introduce you to someone who can assist you, if we cannot provide the level of expertise you require.
We are proud to serve clients who come from over 40 countries around the world. Their businesses are as diverse as they are. Our clients include professionals such as doctors, dentists and lawyers, manufacturers, wholesalers/distributors, importers and exporters, retailers, not-for-profit organizations, service providers and just ordinary people who need help with their taxes.
Why would you want to do business with us as compared to another accounting firm? Several reasons, we think:
* Big firm experience / Small firm rates - Geoff spent the first 17 years of his career at KPMG, one of the largest professional services firms internationally, becoming a Partner in his 9th year. The breadth of experience he gained there was invaluable. We are able to charge lower fees for our services than larger firms due to comparatively low overhead expenses.
* We are able to offer service in the English and Mandarin languages.
* Financial information is most useful if it is prepared on a timely basis. We won't "sit" on your file - we do whatever it takes to minimize the service delivery time, while ensuring that quality is not compromised.
* All our staff participate in ongoing professional development to keep abreast of changes in the accounting rules, tax laws and planning opportunities. This means our advice to you is always current.
* Although experience is a good teacher, we don't automatically assume we have THE solution to your problem because we have dealt with a similar issue in the past. We will take the time to listen to your needs. We recognize that every situation is unique in certain respects, meaning that one solution does not necessarily work in all cases.
* We are interested in building long-term relationships with our clients. And we know we have to earn your trust before the relationship can flourish. This means treating you with the same respect we would want to receive. In summary, you will receive timely service, performed in a professional yet personal manner, for a fair fee.
* While we take our work seriously, we have a sense of humour. Imagine, accountants with a sense of humour! We hope this makes it more pleasant to deal with us.
Audits, Reviews and Compilations
We provide financial statement reporting at all three levels of assurance:
*Audit - an intensive examination with the highest level of assurance that the financial statements are fairly stated (normally required by publicly accountable companies and not-for-profit organizations; often required where the company has significant bank debt)
*Review - limited assurance report on the financial statements based on enquiry, discussion and analytical procedures (resulting statements are presented in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, often making them acceptable to lenders, in lieu of audited statements)
*Compilation - based upon client information provided and used primarily for filing with corporate income tax returns as well as internally
We can assist you in the preparation of your financial statements in accordance with professional standards. Your financial statements serve as a useful tool to analyze your business and base decision making on accurate information.
Financial Forecasts & Projections
Financial forecasts and projections, sometimes known as business plans or budgets, are most often prepared by businesses looking to obtain financing, perhaps related to a business start-up or to finance growing operations or a corporate acquisition. In our experience, however, those companies that prepare budgets annually, and use the information as a benchmark to compare against their actual results, tend to perform better than those which don't. We are experienced at building financial models using spreadsheets - let us know if you need help.
Management Advisory Services
Many of our clients are owner-managed businesses who spend most of their time working IN, not ON, their businesses. We often work with them to develop longer-term goals and specific strategies to facilitate the future growth and success of their business. As well, they often rely on us as their "go to" business advisors when confronted with situations they are not accustomed to dealing with daily. Even if the situation is not within one of our areas of expertise, we have an extensive network of contacts in other disciplines we can engage for assistance.
Purchase and Sale of a Business
Preparation and planning are key to the successful purchase or sale of a business. We assist clients with all aspects of the transaction, including valuation, cash flow analysis, negotiation strategies, tax minimization and transition planning.
Business Succession Planning
Effective transition of your business to successors is critical to its continued prosperity (and probably to your comfortable retirement). This can be a particularly delicate situation for a family business. We are experienced in solving not only the technical issues associated with business succession, but also guiding clients through the emotional issues.
A comprehensive financial plan enables you to face financial challenges that may present themselves at various stages of your life. Through the financial planning process, we can help you assess your financial needs and develop strategies that will enable you to achieve your financial goals. The creation, implementation and periodic review/updating of a personal financial plan during your working years and through retirement will enhance your ability to achieve financial independence.
Tax Planning & Preparation
*Planning - Nobody wants to pay more tax than necessary. We assist individuals and corporations in structuring their financial affairs to minimize the amount of tax paid.
*Preparation - We ensure that your personal and corporate tax returns are filed accurately and on time. If the tax authorities query certain aspects of your return or decide to audit you, we will represent you in resolving the issues.
Estate & Trust Tax Preparation
Effective estate planning facilitates the orderly transfer of assets to your beneficiaries, provides security for a surviving spouse, and can minimize the tax due on the transfer of your business and personal assets. For business owners, providing for business continuity and succession of ownership is essential. We can guide you through the complex process of getting your financial affairs in order. After an individual's death, we work with the estate trustees (executors) to ensure that the deceased's final tax return and estate tax returns are filed accurately, on time and so as to minimize the amount of tax paid.